Virtual WiFi is a technology that virtualizes your network adapter much in the same way VMWare virtualizes your entire operating system. Once virtualized, you can basically convert one physical wireless adapter into two virtual ones. This allows you to then connect one virtual network adapter to your regular wireless network and use the other virtual adapter to connect to another network such as an ad-hoc network or to create a WiFi hotspot and allow other to connect to your Windows 7 machine wireless like they would connect to a normal wireless access point.
Creating your own wireless access point, you can go about it in two ways: use the command line in Windows 7
* Network and Sharing Center and clicking on
* Change Adapter Settings. Click on the network-right click -properties
* Sharing tab and check the box that says
* Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection.
* under Home networking connection, make sure to pick the name of the virtual WiFi mini port adapter. It may be something like Wireless Network Connection 2 or 3, etc.
* Now to setup the wireless access point on the virtual network adapter, open the command prompt (Start, type run[run as adminstrator,Press and hold down the SHIFT key while you right-click the program icon, and then click Run as.]) and type in the following command:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=VirtualNetworkName key=Password
In the line above, you need to change VirtualNetworkName to the desired name of your wireless network and change Password to whatever password you want on the network. Note that all virtual wireless access points have to use WPA2-PSK (AES) encryption no matter what. Once it has been setup, you can enable it by typing in the following line:
netsh wlan start hostednetwork
To see details about the hosted network, such as how many clients are connected, type in the following command:
netsh wlan show hostednetwork
And that’s about it! Other users should now be able to see your newly created wireless access point in their list of wireless networks. They should also be able to connect and connect to the Internet.